· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association Ľ General Ľ Super 15s
Swearing
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

Swearing
by: beearraydee, 1 week ago 09:27 AM (#1)

So it seems someone was thrown out of the Super 15s yesterday for swearing.

I'll be attending the third division in a couple of weeks and I'd hate to get chucked out for this. Could the SPA please publish a full list of all unacceptable words on this site please?

Thanks in advance,
beearraydee
General Member

RE: Swearing
by: secretary, 1 week ago 01:28 PM (#2)

beearraydee wrote:
So it seems someone was thrown out of the Super 15s yesterday for swearing.

I'll be attending the third division in a couple of weeks and I'd hate to get chucked out for this. Could the SPA please publish a full list of all unacceptable words on this site please?

Thanks in advance,

It is NOT possible to publish swear words on site as filters do not allow certain words.

Check Oxford English dictionary for further reference.

i.e. just don't swear near microphone
secretary
General Member

by: beearraydee, 1 week ago 01:50 PM (#3)

The OED describes swearing as "The use of offensive language."

Given that what is offensive to me, might not be offensive to you. I think it's necessary for the SPA to weigh in on this matter.

For example, would any of the following words be permitted? Presumably these are not covered by the filter:

NO SWEARING!!
Fud
NO SWEARING!! Flaps
Bawbag
Spunk Trumpet
beearraydee
General Member

by: secretary, 1 week ago 02:24 PM (#4)

beearraydee wrote:

Given that what is offensive to me, might not be offensive to you. I think it's necessary for the SPA to weigh in on this matter.

For example, would any of the following words be permitted? Presumably these are not covered by the filter:

NO SWEARING!!
Fud
NO SWEARING!! Flaps
Bawbag
Spunk Trumpet

If you bring me a list of words you wish to say or not to hear during play, I will sift through them and sanction any words that can be said by you or others.
This list will only be sanctioned by me personally each day of play.
secretary
General Member

by: beearraydee, 1 week ago 05:39 PM (#5)

secretary wrote:
If you bring me a list of words you wish to say or not to hear during play, I will sift through them and sanction any words that can be said by you or others.

Thanks for clearing that up, I feel it's only fair I give you a head start since I plan on bringing a "list of words" that's widely recognised as being definitive. I would like to say all these words during play.

i.imgur.com/HcckxcE.png

Edited by beearraydee 1 week ago 05:40 PM
beearraydee
General Member

by: knowledge, 1 week ago 10:05 PM (#6)

secretary wrote:
beearraydee wrote:

NO SWEARING!!
Fud
NO SWEARING!! Flaps
Bawbag
Spunk Trumpet

hilariousclap
knowledge
General Member

by: Danny the geetar man, 1 week ago 10:10 PM (#7)

Does anyone else not find this whole thing absolutely ridiculous?!
This comes part and parcel with live events streamed/broadcasted.
Would you get thrown out of the darts for swearing? No
Football? No
Rugby? No
Etc........
To threaten a team with loss of frame in itself is embarrassing but to throw a spectator out in the last round of the whole tournament is baffling.
What about every single person who attended the venue over the course of the weekend? I guarantee more than 3/4 have swore at some point. Punish one, punish everyone, which would lead to a very empty hall.
It seems rather than support and promote these weekends, which I personally love and have done ever since my first event, people are doing their best to drive everyone away.

Just my opinion and I'm sure others will agree and also disagree.

Danny Wilson

Superleague A Team Captain

Bannockburn Pool League Rep

Feel The Burn!!!

#nobannockburnnoparty
Danny the geetar man
General Member

by: secretary, 1 week ago 10:42 PM (#8)

Danny the geetar man wrote:
Football? No
Rugby? No
Etc........
To threaten a team with loss of frame in itself is embarrassing but to throw a spectator out in the last round of the whole tournament is baffling.
What about every single person who attended the venue over the course of the weekend? I guarantee more than 3/4 have swore at some point. Punish one, punish everyone, which would lead to a very empty hall.
It seems rather than support and promote these weekends, which I personally love and have done ever since my first event, people are doing their best to drive everyone away.

just don't swear ....
why ??? swear???
secretary
General Member

by: Danny the geetar man, 1 week ago 11:04 PM (#9)

secretary wrote:
Football? No
Rugby? No
Etc........

just don't swear ....
why ??? swear???

Davy away and don't be silly. Someone comes up to you with a problem to do with the tablet for the 50th time on the Friday night and you don't swear whilst telling them what to do?
AYE. RIGHT

Danny Wilson

Superleague A Team Captain

Bannockburn Pool League Rep

Feel The Burn!!!

#nobannockburnnoparty

Edited by Danny the geetar man 1 week ago 11:05 PM
Danny the geetar man
General Member

by: scottrdj, 1 week ago 01:01 AM (#10)

Everyone is missing the point here. Laura was a spectator at the pool. Ross McInnis does not own pettycur bay. If the site has a problem with swearing then that's up to them. But going with the patrons during the year I can't see that being a problem.
scottrdj
General Member

by: scottrdj, 1 week ago 01:07 AM (#11)

The next question is why has beloved pool benefactor not came on to justify his actions? Maybe because he cannot possibly justify that. Great guy just has no clue about real life. Mind and buy his blackball table with absolutely no kick outs. You must make it bigger for snooker though as they will pay a fortune for something that is scientifically impossible to do and I didn't swear once
scottrdj
General Member

by: maxi, 1 week ago 11:03 AM (#12)

Football? No

Actually i can remember taking jnr to Motherwell v Rangers when he was a kid and we were in Motherwell end, this was when Goram was playing for Motherwell and every time Rangers scores this guy down front of stand was shouting profanities towards Goram, he was warned twice by stewards and then for the third time he was ejected.

You canít shout out swearing in most stadiums in their family stands.

Iím not one to defend Ross very often but we seem to be glossing over that Ross clearly announced next person to swear will have a frame docked off their team so itís actually commendable that he only asked a spectator to leave the arena rather than dock a frame.

And I understand this announcement was due to complaints online about the swearing. So think he was justified to make that announcement

www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!

by: secretary, 1 week ago 11:54 AM (#13)

secretary wrote:
Football? No
Rugby? No
Etc........

just don't swear ....
why ??? swear???

Davy away and don't be silly. Someone comes up to you with a problem to do with the tablet for the 50th time on the Friday night and you don't swear whilst telling them what to do?
AYE. RIGHT

Yes
BUT
I am NOT the closest person to the microphone (nowhere near in my room)

everyone was warned due to complaints on web
2000 watching
Laura was sitting next to microphone
secretary
General Member

by: deebee69, 1 week ago 02:03 PM (#14)

Just as an aside, if online viewers are complaining about swearing, why isn't there a disclaimer saying the language could become loud and possibly offensive. We've all been at these weekends, they are in a place that sells alcohol... can we not expect adult behaviour? When does swearing become offensive?
Something else regarding the streaming, when has anyone been asked to sign a disclaimer for their image to be transmitted across the internet? Who has permission to view this? What safeguards are required to view this stream?
I personally have no issues with being streamed, but these are some issues I have encountered with regards to personal image and the use of this?
deebee69
General Member

by: sja, 1 week ago 05:02 PM (#15)

Ross speaks and the usual sheep follow who ever complained watching the stream should either be less offended and expect a bit of adult language watching players playing pool or watch the stream with no sound problem solved
Should maybe have put it in the tournament rules before taking players money first then making the rules up as we go. bottom line is swearing is part of everyday life on tv in music videos in the workplace.....
If I lose a frame of pool swearing is the least of your NO SWEARING!!ing worries
sja

by: Fat Nut, 1 week ago 05:24 PM (#16)

When are people going to realise that the vast majority of the people at these events are there for a laugh and a good weekend. There are very few who are tucked up in their caravan with a cup of tea at half 10. Pool is the common man's game with its roots IN THE PUB where swearing is certainly not frowned upon. The proper response would have been to pull the person aside and warn them about the mic. I can't believe this is a serious subject. People need to get a grip. Yes, this is one of the biggest events but that's only cos members like to attend and have a good time.

I was gonnae............
Fat Nut
General Member

by: Sting, 1 week ago 11:53 PM (#17)

Couple of things which made shytegate a disgrace.

1. The fact the no swearing was brought in for the final only and the consistent swearing all weekend.
2. The way it was handled, even throwing the offender out (which was wrong anyway) to degrade them over a microphone Infront of a crowd was just plain sick and embarrassing.
3. If we are going to do everything by the so called book, then that book has to be published.
4. If there is to be no profanity then the words themselves have to be established, the word used for me personally is a descriptive word however it can be seen by others as derogatory, there are other words which are not profanity which fall into this also, this must be cleared up, surely.

Finally, you cannot have it both ways, the spa and venue have this event as a fun weekend packed full of drinking and good times yet you cannot swear. The venue is a pub and this type of language is the norm, not the mention we are Scottish therefore the use of swear words is much more common.

I hope the right thing is done and an apology given, not for ejecting the person but for the humilating way it was done, disgraceful.

Triumphant Return
Sting
General Member

by: doy, 1 week ago 09:15 AM (#18)

Complaints on web ffs....turn volume down and don't be a NO SWEARING!!
doy

by: Housty, 6 days ago 01:40 PM (#19)

sja wrote:
Ross speaks and the usual sheep follow who ever complained watching the stream should either be less offended and expect a bit of adult language watching players playing pool or watch the stream with no sound problem solved
Should maybe have put it in the tournament rules before taking players money first then making the rules up as we go. bottom line is swearing is part of everyday life on tv in music videos in the workplace.....
If I lose a frame of pool swearing is the least of your NO SWEARING!!ing worries

You do swear quite a lot Stevie

The Silent Assassin

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Edited by Housty 6 days ago 01:41 PM
Housty

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< November 2018 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

22/10/2018
When the seniors draw getting done?

15/10/2018
Anyone know if there is any provisional date for the super 11s premier next year?

27/09/2018
Cheers FCBash

23/09/2018
Trying to get it up and running - John working on it.

22/09/2018
Any streams for the ims today

21/09/2018
No dress code for the qualifiers Davy.

18/09/2018
I take it that their is no dress code for the 15s qualifiers folks

14/09/2018
Will the draw for 15s play-offs be done this week? Only 3 weeks away .

11/09/2018
Cheers bash, the deadline for Supers payments is now behind us, can't the draw be done sooner? Ta

10/09/2018
IM5 online now. Supers will likely be a couple of weeks

Render time: 0.38 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 70,270,688 unique visits