Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

Belhaven Scottish Open 2019
by: Gerryb, 09-08-2019 02:03 PM (#21)

FlyingScotsman wrote:
Gerryb wrote:
geegee1984 wrote:
Sad that money was deemed more important than the pride of being national champion

And once again the 95% of guys who realistically wouldn’t win are expected to prop up the elites bank balance

They not earn enough with all the tournaments around

I am ok with the realistic notion that most dont even enter this with the expectation that they could win. However, the cannon fodder is treated pretty poorly and with wiht a complete lack of respect.

Geez yer money its for a good cause, shut yer hole and aff ye NO SWEARING!!

Gerry, show me where the SPA treat their members as cannon fodder?

This event is the Scottish Open Championship not a tour, not a local event but the biggest singles event the SPA does once a year since they were formed in 1979.

We don't force players to enter it, like all our events its up to them, to enter.

All people, sorry a few people on here disagree and point out that the numbers have went down, well that is correct but when I answer these questions, no one seems to come back to me with anything.

A couple have said the rise in entry fee has meant that players stop entering the event, I cannot disagree with that statment but this is 2019 and these few want the entry fee to remain the same until when?

I have also pointed out that the doubles entry fee did not go up but those numbers went down as well, why because we asked for 3 entries at the same time and that will not happen again.

The third event was the new Malky Cowan event, to be run on the same lines of the WMc we have done for years but those numbers again are 50% down on the entry we took for the WMc, why again its because we asked for all 3 at the same time.

Next you say the SPA treat the players like cannon fodder, well why did we set up divisions for the less skilled leagues, so that they can particapate on a far equal terms with other teams, we could have just set it up any way we liked and had the same old results where teams getting beat 15 zip.

Why do we do tours for age and gender groups, we do them to help develop these sections, along with now not one but two grassroot events, again to help develop our players by giving them a chance to play at a grand final, with good prize money etc.

Our Masters Senior and ladies sections charge £10 entry in each of their events, in this day and age its not a lot.

Yes other tours do charge a lot more but thats for the players who want to travel, who feel they can win these kind of events but with the growth of pool throughout Scotland I only see a few people moaning about the entry fee for the Scottish and as I said we do not force anyone from entering any event, its up to the players to chose and they have loads to chose from now.

Consultation happened, changes took place..................booted into touch a few years later without consultation by a few folk at a meeting. Selection process, counties, charges to members. You either set up something which means the members view are taken or you run it like a dictatorship. There seems to be a convenience to what you listen to. I wasnt included in the last masters event despite providing evidence that I had my name in. Sent it to you and Davy and got hee haw in response.

I do however note your point in the growth of pool in some of the sections. The growth in other tours which you dont have to qualify for will eventually have an effect on the SPA unless you find a way of connecting the whole thing, ranking points or something.
Gerryb
General Member

RE: Belhaven Scottish Open 2019
by: FlyingScotsman, 09-08-2019 03:11 PM (#22)

You still don't get it do you Gerry.

The growth in other Tours is helping Scottish pool, all over Scotland.

All pool events do not have to come from the SPA but we do have to make sure we have enough to develop our players game and to send our players to International events.

Last year I decided to put Masters and Seniors on one weekend at the same time, thus opening up more weekends for the Tours all over Scotland.

My job is to promote pool in Scotland and these tours help pool far more than anyone knows, so we work together to give our players a choice in what and where they play.

As for your point of dictatorship, well I'v heared that for the past 25 years, the only people who makes real decisions, real changes are the reps, you can believe that or not, fed up trying to defend myself against people who have no idea of really what goes on.

The SPA is the srongest National pool association in the World, we may not have the money a lot of others have but our set ups for a country of this size is second to none and our players prove that daily in the events they play in year in year out.

For me that is down to our Exec , our sections, our international managers but most of all to our players.

We cannot force reps/people to attend meetings but the ones who do listen and make their points made and all are honest as the day is long and only want what is best for their pool players but as I have said before we cant please everyone.

Edited by FlyingScotsman 09-08-2019 03:15 PM
FlyingScotsman

by: Gerryb, 09-08-2019 03:55 PM (#23)

FlyingScotsman wrote:
You still don't get it do you Gerry.

The growth in other Tours is helping Scottish pool, all over Scotland.

All pool events do not have to come from the SPA but we do have to make sure we have enough to develop our players game and to send our players to International events.

Last year I decided to put Masters and Seniors on one weekend at the same time, thus opening up more weekends for the Tours all over Scotland.

My job is to promote pool in Scotland and these tours help pool far more than anyone knows, so we work together to give our players a choice in what and where they play.

As for your point of dictatorship, well I'v heared that for the past 25 years, the only people who makes real decisions, real changes are the reps, you can believe that or not, fed up trying to defend myself against people who have no idea of really what goes on.

The SPA is the srongest National pool association in the World, we may not have the money a lot of others have but our set ups for a country of this size is second to none and our players prove that daily in the events they play in year in year out.

For me that is down to our Exec , our sections, our international managers but most of all to our players.

We cannot force reps/people to attend meetings but the ones who do listen and make their points made and all are honest as the day is long and only want what is best for their pool players but as I have said before we cant please everyone.

While perhaps we have difference of opinion, I do appreciate you taking time to answer. Thank you for that
Gerryb
General Member

by: knowledge, 10-08-2019 12:45 AM (#24)

Blue Jam wrote:
FlyingScotsman wrote:
Right well can answr one.

Yes the entry fee for the Scottish has doubled in the last couple of years and a lot of players have decided no they will not pay the ten pounds asking price.

However if you look at all the events on now a days, mostly they are all that price or more.

I remember way back in 1980 it was £1 to enter the Scottish, that lasted years until we went to £2 and of course numbers fell, over a period of years those numbers came back up again until we raised it to £5 and again the numbers dropped but again they came back up again over the years.

Its like saying lets keep the entry fee to a £1, if we did that then I'm sure we would have loads more but times change, what can be bought for £1 in 1980 would perhaps cost more than £10 today.

The prize fund has also risen as well but as been pointed out the first prize remains about the same, where as other pats from the very start have went up, i know its not a lot but a player qualifying for the finals gets £20 back just getting there, for some its not the money at all as has again been pointed out, its about making the finals being part of the Scottish Open and having that chance.

Lastly the Scottish Open is just that, I don't know how many times Mick and myself have had to argue against top players saying it should be seeded like all the rest but as long as I am the promoter of the SPA it will along with the rest of the Scottish championships remain an Open event which in turn means a lot.

£1 in 1980 had the same buying power as £4.24 in 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics composite price index.

Some Scottish Singles figures I'm sure you are aware of, as promoter.

Year Entries
2015 1031
2016 1162
2017 1265
Entry fee increased (as proposed by R McInnes)
2018 799
2019 723

We have gone from a position of steadily climbing entries, to falling off a cliff, then declining even further. Not far off a 50% reduction in only two years, in fact.

So the prize money has gone up at the cost of entries going through the floor, but it's not about the money? hmm

Have the exec tasked you with increasing participation, prize funds, both, or not given any direction at all?

Can you not go on to one of the threads somewhere else and read "everything is done to benefit the players" a few times. Just keep doing that then shut your eyes and keep repeating it until you believe it. In many cases that seems to work.
knowledge
General Member

by: Gerryb, 1 week ago 10:33 AM (#25)

knowledge wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:
FlyingScotsman wrote:
Right well can answr one.

Yes the entry fee for the Scottish has doubled in the last couple of years and a lot of players have decided no they will not pay the ten pounds asking price.

However if you look at all the events on now a days, mostly they are all that price or more.

I remember way back in 1980 it was £1 to enter the Scottish, that lasted years until we went to £2 and of course numbers fell, over a period of years those numbers came back up again until we raised it to £5 and again the numbers dropped but again they came back up again over the years.

Its like saying lets keep the entry fee to a £1, if we did that then I'm sure we would have loads more but times change, what can be bought for £1 in 1980 would perhaps cost more than £10 today.

The prize fund has also risen as well but as been pointed out the first prize remains about the same, where as other pats from the very start have went up, i know its not a lot but a player qualifying for the finals gets £20 back just getting there, for some its not the money at all as has again been pointed out, its about making the finals being part of the Scottish Open and having that chance.

Lastly the Scottish Open is just that, I don't know how many times Mick and myself have had to argue against top players saying it should be seeded like all the rest but as long as I am the promoter of the SPA it will along with the rest of the Scottish championships remain an Open event which in turn means a lot.

£1 in 1980 had the same buying power as £4.24 in 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics composite price index.

Some Scottish Singles figures I'm sure you are aware of, as promoter.

Year Entries
2015 1031
2016 1162
2017 1265
Entry fee increased (as proposed by R McInnes)
2018 799
2019 723

We have gone from a position of steadily climbing entries, to falling off a cliff, then declining even further. Not far off a 50% reduction in only two years, in fact.

So the prize money has gone up at the cost of entries going through the floor, but it's not about the money? hmm

Have the exec tasked you with increasing participation, prize funds, both, or not given any direction at all?

Can you not go on to one of the threads somewhere else and read "everything is done to benefit the players" a few times. Just keep doing that then shut your eyes and keep repeating it until you believe it. In many cases that seems to work.

You cant keep on coming on here and talking sense its not what we do.
Gerryb
General Member

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< August 2019 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

22/07/2019
Money in brown envelope

28/06/2019
How do i become an SPA Member?

22/06/2019
Where can I find dates/venue's for seniors tour? Thanks.

12/04/2019
Render time: 0.23 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 84,892,550 unique visits