05/08/2020 13:59
Navigation
· Home
· 2020 S11 Schedules
· Constitution
· Playing Rules
· Meetings
· Downloads
· SPA Contacts
· Site Rules
· Discussion Forum
· Contact Webteam
· Event Calendar (NEW)
IM Series
· 2020 IM Dates/Deadlines
· 2020 IM Area Draws
· 2020 IM Rankings
SPA Information
· Hall of Fame
· 2020 Roll of Honour
· SPA Tour Rankings
· Ladies Tour
International Teams
· Mens
· Ladies
· Youths and Juniors
· Learning Difficulties
Member Leagues
· Affiliated Leagues
Other
· Photo Gallery
· Downloads
· Search
· Web Links
Users Online
· Guests Online: 20

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 2,210
· Newest Member: sumo2403
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
· Scottish government
· Russell Young
· 2020 events
· WEPF/Supreme rules
· Joshua Kerr
Hottest Threads
· An Invite from th... [1120]
· challenge match n... [637]
· Riley's £10000 am... [430]
· Last Movie you wa... [390]
The Scottish Pool Association » General » Individual Membership
2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
Username
Password
Register FAQ Members List Today's Posts Search

Print Thread

  2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FCBash, 22-10-2019 11:52 PM (#1)

2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
The 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series shall have a small amended format from 2019. This was highlighted to the members in July 2018. Areas shall still be awarded a pro-rata of qualifiers based upon their entries, the more entries an area has, the more qualifiers they shall likely receive for the National Finals.

The National Finals will have 128 qualifiers, where the Top 16 from the rankings the season before are automatic and joined by 112 qualifiers from all over Scotland.

There will be FOUR events again in 2020, each of these will count towards players' ranking in the series, in addition the Scottish Singles also counts towards each players ranking. Every player is awarded Merit or Ranking Points determined by their position in each event. There will be no other IM event outside of these four.

The National Finals shall be held on the following dates:-

Event 1: 7th & 8th March (Players Lounge, Falkirk)
Event 2: 2nd & 3rd May (Corner Pocket, Dalkieth)
Event 3: 12th & 13th September (subject to change until EBA B Event dates are confirmed)
Event 4: 17th & 18th October (subject to change until EBA B Event dates are confirmed)

The remaining venues will be announced as soon as they are known. Each National Finals will be held in one club, where possible. However, this may be held by two clubs on the Saturday, in certain circumstances.

Entry for the 2020 Series is £25 per player out with the automatic qualifiers. The entry fee for an automatic qualifier is £75. This is still one of the best value tournaments on offer with all entry money taken in being paid out. This season just under £25k was paid out over the 4 IM events. In addition, players will have to pay their £5 SPA Member Registration.


Draws
We will endeavor to ensure timings permit one half of the draw to be played out on the Saturday, with the other half of the draw being played on the Sunday where only a handful of remaining players, from the Saturday, will have to return later on the Sunday. In essence making this a one-day event for the majority of players.


No-Shows
Any player that cannot attend the National Finals must inform the SPA a minimum of twenty four hours in advance. Any player that fails to notify the SPA in this time period shall be given a warning. Any player that has received a warning, who fails to notify the SPA in subsequent events shall be removed from the remainder of the IM season in that calendar year. Should a players suspension be incurred at event four then they shall be suspended for the first two IM events from when they next register to compete.


Payment Information
Anyone wishing to participate in the 2020 Mick McGoldrick IM Series of Events must register with their IM Rep. Remember, anyone who misses this deadline shall miss the entire 2020 Series.

Entries will close at 12 Noon on Sunday 8th December, but please note IM Reps may have a deadline which is before this to allow cleared payment to reach the SPA Accounts prior to the SPA meeting that day. As a reminder, no cash will be accepted on the day.


IM Reps
The entry and payment deadline is Sunday 8th December 2019. Reps must ensure cleared funds have reached the SPA Accounts no later than the deadline. Please note that a full list of entries must also be sent to spa-im@hotmail.co.uk before the deadline.

The electronic banking details are as follows:-

Please also reference the payment with your area.

Bank Account Name: SPA Individual Membership
Account No: 00133147
Sort Code: 80-08-25
Bank: Bank of Scotland

***PLEASE NOTE*** These details are for the Reps to make payment only, any individual player that makes payment into this account shall be refunded and discarded from the entries.

Regards,
Michael
 
SPA IM Secretary
Arbroath & District Match Secretary
FCBash
General Member


Posts: 2206
Joined: 09.12.10
Location: Arbroath

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: alligator, 23-10-2019 09:53 AM (#2)

Is there any reason for the top 16 paying an extra £50 ? A brief explanation of why this has been deemed necessary please .
 
wait and strike when the time is right
alligator



Posts: 4607
Joined: 20.10.08
Location: glasgow

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FlyingScotsman, 23-10-2019 12:31 PM (#3)

Well Michael has posted the IM poster today, announcing the changes to next year and I want to explain some of the changes to you all.

Firstly we have went back to one venue, reason , well in my opinion it should never have been changed in the first place as you lose a lot with using two or even three venues.

Yes we have far more qualifiers but all that really does as you can all see from the records is give us far more no shows as well.

One venue means that you can travel with another player from your same area or a pal that has also qualified, one venue means that you all play on the same tables and with the same cloth all weekend, instead of maybe a fast nap cloth one day and a non nap cloth the next.

One venue means that the SPA will stream the whole event from Saturday throughout the tournament instead of just the Sundays finals.

One venue means that the SPA staff can concentrate on making it better , rather than running around for days making sure apps are at each venue and trying to find TD and refs for each one.

Next change is going back to only the top 16 ranked players qualifying, now here is the big problem , this now means that the 17/64 ranked players have to again qualify and with that they go back into the area qualifiers , which in turn may mean that others in their area say , not for me and I can understand that it will be harder to qualify for lots of players now but that’s pool.

So perhaps we may lose a lot of players with that decision but one we decided in the long run was better for the IM structure.

Next the top 16 players paying more than the other entries, reason these players are already in the finals and as such with being seeded away from each other they have it far easier than all the others.

Next format, we have decided to go this way, 64 players will attend on the Saturday and we will play it down as far as possible maybe even to a winner and ask him or them to attend on the Sunday at a time far later in the day.

The other 64 players will only play in the Sunday , this for most players, it’s only a one day event.

Now we have looked at the times and based on using venues with 12 tables this is easy, however only a few clubs have 12 tables and I intend to take one IM event outside of the central belt each year, so with that decision , that event if only using 8 tables will be far longer for the players getting far in the comp but again we are the governing body for Scotland not just the central belt.

The SPA have posted the dates , the first two are fine and we will be using The Players Lounge and Corner Pocket for these two and again this is in the first part of the year, however the next two dates are provisional with no venues yet been selected.

The reason provisional is because the EBA at this time have not advertised the date of their Nation cup B event where the SPA will be sending loads of players to and we cannot play our IMs when members are away playing for their country.

Lastly the IMs have not been the same for years, reason being is quite simple, they are not the only events now a days and other tours other great events have made them not as important and we are trying to bring them back and make them better again.

We will undoubtably lose entries , that’s a given but the IMs will still be the best value events in Scotland if not in the UK and players will still see where they are ranked in Scotland as well as improving their game but I hope they also have to understand we had to change the format , we may again in future years look at new ways of doing them but for now these are the main changes and I hope players will still enter the Mick McGoldrick IM for 2020z
FlyingScotsman



Posts: 10365
Joined: 10.01.08
Location: Dunfermline

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: spideradams, 23-10-2019 07:48 PM (#4)

That 24 hours notice needs to be addressed its absolutely farcical I think 10pm on the Friday night would be a better option than exactly 24hrs and even then there should be a case for extenuating circumstances
spideradams
General Member


Posts: 171
Joined: 18.02.09
Location: clydebank
Age: 37

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: junior1, 24-10-2019 11:52 AM (#5)

Will qualifier deadlines still be 2 weeks before finals next year?
junior1



Posts: 474
Joined: 14.01.08
Location: glasgow

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: maxi, 24-10-2019 12:21 PM (#6)

One question, you say play one half of draw on the Saturday down as far as possible, hopefully down to just the finalist. But you also allude to may be a group of players from saturday need to go to the Sunday. But say the semi finalists or worst case the quarter finalists need to come on the sunday. If the Saturday hasn’t been completed then how could the Sunday get completed with even more players??
 
www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!


Posts: 15075
Joined: 06.04.10
Location: Glasgow
Age: 51

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FlyingScotsman, 24-10-2019 01:34 PM (#7)

Well Maxi, we are looking at a few things as per my post.

We only have very few clubs with 12 tables, these are all in the central belt and as I said that will be no problem for doing these 3 events, even if we raise the frames right from the start as per the Scottish Championships as an example.

However as you know I intend to take one of the four events every year outside the central belt, be it to the far North East West or South.

These clubs may only have 8, so looking at the times based on 8 tables we will have a few choices to make, reduce this event back to best of 11 which would help or even take more than the 64 players on the Saturday to make sure we do finish off the finals not to late on the Sunday as players may have work the next day and could have a lot of traveling to do as well.

In saying all this, it will only effect a limited number of players who are the final stages of the event and on good prize money and good ranking points.
I honestly dont see a problem as players attend events in England and get to the later stages of the events down there and having to travel back far more distances and say nothing.
It will be this one event that may cause us some trouble etc for our staff as well but we will take care of them if that happens.
FlyingScotsman



Posts: 10365
Joined: 10.01.08
Location: Dunfermline

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: Gerryb, 24-10-2019 03:32 PM (#8)

FlyingScotsman wrote:
Well Michael has posted the IM poster today, announcing the changes to next year and I want to explain some of the changes to you all.

Firstly we have went back to one venue, reason , well in my opinion it should never have been changed in the first place as you lose a lot with using two or even three venues.

Yes we have far more qualifiers but all that really does as you can all see from the records is give us far more no shows as well.

One venue means that you can travel with another player from your same area or a pal that has also qualified, one venue means that you all play on the same tables and with the same cloth all weekend, instead of maybe a fast nap cloth one day and a non nap cloth the next.

One venue means that the SPA will stream the whole event from Saturday throughout the tournament instead of just the Sundays finals.

One venue means that the SPA staff can concentrate on making it better , rather than running around for days making sure apps are at each venue and trying to find TD and refs for each one.

Next change is going back to only the top 16 ranked players qualifying, now here is the big problem , this now means that the 17/64 ranked players have to again qualify and with that they go back into the area qualifiers , which in turn may mean that others in their area say , not for me and I can understand that it will be harder to qualify for lots of players now but that’s pool.

So perhaps we may lose a lot of players with that decision but one we decided in the long run was better for the IM structure.

Next the top 16 players paying more than the other entries, reason these players are already in the finals and as such with being seeded away from each other they have it far easier than all the others.

Next format, we have decided to go this way, 64 players will attend on the Saturday and we will play it down as far as possible maybe even to a winner and ask him or them to attend on the Sunday at a time far later in the day.

The other 64 players will only play in the Sunday , this for most players, it’s only a one day event.

Now we have looked at the times and based on using venues with 12 tables this is easy, however only a few clubs have 12 tables and I intend to take one IM event outside of the central belt each year, so with that decision , that event if only using 8 tables will be far longer for the players getting far in the comp but again we are the governing body for Scotland not just the central belt.

The SPA have posted the dates , the first two are fine and we will be using The Players Lounge and Corner Pocket for these two and again this is in the first part of the year, however the next two dates are provisional with no venues yet been selected.

The reason provisional is because the EBA at this time have not advertised the date of their Nation cup B event where the SPA will be sending loads of players to and we cannot play our IMs when members are away playing for their country.

Lastly the IMs have not been the same for years, reason being is quite simple, they are not the only events now a days and other tours other great events have made them not as important and we are trying to bring them back and make them better again.

We will undoubtably lose entries , that’s a given but the IMs will still be the best value events in Scotland if not in the UK and players will still see where they are ranked in Scotland as well as improving their game but I hope they also have to understand we had to change the format , we may again in future years look at new ways of doing them but for now these are the main changes and I hope players will still enter the Mick McGoldrick IM for 2020z


Not sure it is the best value. As for the rest of the tours, you sign up you go. Very hard to climb the rankings as well. 3rd Round to get a point with no incentives to even climb the rankings, not as if you get a sniff of international pool? Just an opinion of couse. Really dont see the point. Maybe if you lumped more dough towards the top end and had a grand final?
Gerryb
General Member


Posts: 505
Joined: 14.01.08
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: maxi, 24-10-2019 05:32 PM (#9)

The most worrying statement is “we will undoubtedly lose entries”

For a promoter to come out with this statement contradict the definition of promotion does it not?
 
www.scottishpool.com/images/wc2.jpg
www.lastbidz.com
http://twitter.co...
SPA Scottish Doubles Champions 2013
World Champion 2012 (Scotland Seniors Team)
Strathclyde League Singles Champion 2012
Red Triangle Singles League Champion 2012
Superleague 11 & 15 Team Champions 2012 (Team G)
Superleague 11s Challenge Champions (captain)
World Speed Pool Seniors Champion 2010
Paisley Singles Champion 2010
European Masters Senior Team Champions 2010, 2011
Superleague 15's Champions Team G 2009
Belhaven Grand Final Champion 2007
maxi
Fingers crossed!


Posts: 15075
Joined: 06.04.10
Location: Glasgow
Age: 51

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: Gerryb, 25-10-2019 09:33 AM (#10)

maxi wrote:
The most worrying statement is “we will undoubtedly lose entries”

For a promoter to come out with this statement contradict the definition of promotion does it not?


History is full of people who plough on with their ideas for the greater good no matter what. Sometimes they are proved to be correct and sometimes they are not. Personally I love pool and it has certainly given me an interest in life, escpecially when your not feeling at your best. Being part of team, being looked out for etc. It is interesting that the bigger pool gets the less people get to influence it
Gerryb
General Member


Posts: 505
Joined: 14.01.08
Location: Glasgow
Age: 50

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FlyingScotsman, 25-10-2019 10:53 AM (#11)

Maxi,

Even if we did not change the IM structure, in my opinion the entries would have gone down.

The players today want one day events, this we have tried to do for the vast majority of our players in changing the IM structure but other tours, other events, mainly local ones are getting bigger and better and players dont want to travel.

FlyingScotsman



Posts: 10365
Joined: 10.01.08
Location: Dunfermline

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: AllyM, 25-10-2019 11:43 AM (#12)

I'm in favour of the changes and even though I can't make a couple of the events I'll probably still enter.

One thing I do feel strongly about is seeding. We have the 16 automatic entries, and I have no problems with them being seeded in the IM finals. However this should be the only seeding in the draw in my opinion and the current position of the draw basically being totally seeded needs to be changed.

Can you confirm what the seeding position will be for next year under the new format. If it continues to be totally seeded then you can probably count me out.
AllyM
General Member


Posts: 32
Joined: 13.11.17
Location: Inverness
Age: 52

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: knowledge, 25-10-2019 12:28 PM (#13)

How did we play tourney after tourney in clubs with six or seven tables for all those years and now we need clubs with 12 tables? The players are better and the pockets are bigger, surely it shouldn't take longer?
User Avatar
knowledge
General Member


Posts: 8349
Joined: 14.01.08
Age: 48

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: DONEGAL, 25-10-2019 01:38 PM (#14)

knowledge wrote:
How did we play tourney after tourney in clubs with six or seven tables for all those years and now we need clubs with 12 tables? The players are better and the pockets are bigger, surely it shouldn't take longer?


Exactly what I said to a boy yesterday John ..
Was nothing wrong with the IMs apart from maybe prize money in my opinion..
DONEGAL
General Member


Posts: 699
Joined: 24.01.11
Location: Everest Base Camp
Age: 48

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FlyingScotsman, 25-10-2019 02:07 PM (#15)

Well it is true that we did event after event using 7 plus tables but as always players get their way and dont want to finish after midnight as they have work the next day.

John i know i keep going back to years ago when we had so many fewer events but here are the facts.

Players never had draws done before, they all trurned up waiting for draws to be done , sitting around all day to perhaps play one tie.

Events finished well after 1/2 am and i know that for a fact as i was in loads of them, it never bothered me at all as i was winning money and events and expected if i was i the final to be there at that time.
FlyingScotsman



Posts: 10365
Joined: 10.01.08
Location: Dunfermline

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: knowledge, 25-10-2019 03:06 PM (#16)

I agree completely. Not very many IM winners of a grand will be complaining so as you say there is no reason for all this "clubs with 12 tables" nonsense.

When you say "players get their way" do you mean the individuals or the club?
 
Edited by knowledge 25-10-2019 03:13 PM
User Avatar
knowledge
General Member


Posts: 8349
Joined: 14.01.08
Age: 48

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: knowledge, 25-10-2019 03:07 PM (#17)

DONEGAL wrote:
knowledge wrote:
How did we play tourney after tourney in clubs with six or seven tables for all those years and now we need clubs with 12 tables? The players are better and the pockets are bigger, surely it shouldn't take longer?


Exactly what I said to a boy yesterday John ..
Was nothing wrong with the IMs apart from maybe prize money in my opinion..


What did you think was wrong with the prize money?
User Avatar
knowledge
General Member


Posts: 8349
Joined: 14.01.08
Age: 48

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: knowledge, 25-10-2019 03:12 PM (#18)

maxi wrote:
The most worrying statement is “we will undoubtedly lose entries”

For a promoter to come out with this statement contradict the definition of promotion does it not?


Having already reduced the entries to the Scottish.
User Avatar
knowledge
General Member


Posts: 8349
Joined: 14.01.08
Age: 48

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: FlyingScotsman, 25-10-2019 03:38 PM (#19)

knowledge wrote:
I agree completely. Not very many IM winners of a grand will be complaining so as you say there is no reason for all this "clubs with 12 tables" nonsense.

When you say "players get their way" do you mean the individuals or the club?


Players John, as I have posted , lots of things have changed over the years and the players get spoiled.

Lets have the draw two weeks before the event, we need that amount of time to get things in place for work?

Cant finish late as I have work the next day, so change please.

Increase the frames as well each time please.

Then of course we need more qualifiers, more clubs, not two we need Three.

Cant be travelling all over Scotland, in fact lets just make sure they are held less than 40 miles away?

No matter what is done JB , players have different opinions and thats their right but you can't keep them all happy.

Then of course, just look at the post above, prize money wrong, again, different opinion.
 
Edited by FlyingScotsman 25-10-2019 04:00 PM
FlyingScotsman



Posts: 10365
Joined: 10.01.08
Location: Dunfermline

RE: 2020 SPA Mick McGoldrick IM Series
by: knowledge, 25-10-2019 04:00 PM (#20)

FlyingScotsman wrote:
knowledge wrote:
I agree completely. Not very many IM winners of a grand will be complaining so as you say there is no reason for all this "clubs with 12 tables" nonsense.

When you say "players get their way" do you mean the individuals or the club?


Players John, as I have posted , lots of things have changed over the years and the players get spoiled.

Lets have the draw two weeks before the event, we need that amount of time to get things in place for work?

Cant finish late as I have work the next day, so change please.

Increase the frames as well each time please.

Then of course we need more qualifiers, more clubs, not two we need Three.

Cant be travelling all over Scotland, in fact lets just make sure they are held less than 40 miles away?

No matter what is done JB , players have different opinions and thats their right but you can't keep them all happy.


So the world Chamionship is in Australia and you're telling me pool is run for the convenience of the players? Why don't you ask the players if they would rather have the app and drug testing or whether they would rather have more prize money? Come on Ross, pull the other one.

Lots of things have changed and mostly, if not all for the better but until you actually ask the players the questions and actually try to get answers it's not right just to change things and say it's what the players wanted. It might be what some of them wanted but you can't know if it's what a majority wanted.

I think the changes to the IMs are on the whole good but before you take entries people should know the venues, the dates and the round where the prize money begins. If an international association doesn't have its dates for next year arranged yet then that is a reflection on them not us and we should not be held back.

Why don't you ask the players if they want to know those things or if they just want to enter blind?

As a nation we send as many of not more teams than anyone and if a clash affects their event then that might prompt them to be more efficient. We should be leading the way not waiting on people who can't get organised.
 
Edited by knowledge 25-10-2019 04:01 PM
User Avatar
knowledge
General Member


Posts: 8349
Joined: 14.01.08
Age: 48

Options
Jump to Forum:
Forum powered by fusionBoard
Share this Thread
URL:
BBcode:
HTML:
Login
Username

Password



Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Events
<< August 2020 >>
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

20/01/2020

19/01/2020
Hi when is the 5s at pettycur?

17/12/2019
11am start George.

15/12/2019
Thank you FCBash is it still 10am start

14/12/2019
12th January 2020 The Gothenburg Hotel, 138 Queensferry Rd, Rosyth, Dunfermline KY11 2QY

14/12/2019
can someone tell me the date and location for the next spa meeting

18/11/2019
Scott - Some people been busy running Nations Cup in Cyprus

17/11/2019
Secretary - sent you a PM last week can you please reply?

22/10/2019
2020 planner available

21/10/2019
Thanks davie

Render time: 0.35 seconds Original theme by Nick Jones Modyfied into Gillette_Blue by Harly 97,714,359 unique visits